The Microsoft Photos App on Windows 10 is one of the most widely used App on most of the devices running Windows 10. However, given that the native app which was available in Windows 8.1 is no longer available, this new App sometimes has lag issues when launching and sometimes it just crashes abruptly.
The issue becomes worse when the Photos App keeps on crashing on its own constantly, no matter how many times you try, it’s going to crash on you. It’s like you are stuck in a loop. Fear not, we are here to guide you into getting this issue resolved for you.
The Photos App on Windows 10 keeps on crashing repeatedly. No matter what you do, it just gets crashes completely.
Solution 1 Terminate, Repair, or Reset App
Usually, a Windows Store App crashes due to several common reasons and sometimes it’s not even due to your involvement. It could often be caused by old data cache or corrupted files, etc. Luckily, Windows 10 has also provided various kinds of options so that these could be fixed easily.
- Open Settings, either via pressing the WIN + I keys together or by opening the Action Center and clicking on the All Settings
- In the Settings App, click on Apps
- After clicking on the Apps, scroll down the Apps & Features panel to select Microsoft Photos and click on Advanced options
- In the screen that follows, you should be presented with the options to Terminate, Repair and Reset the Microsoft Photos App
- You can now click on Terminate to terminate the App completely.
- Open the App now and see if it works
- If it still crashes, then you can try to repair the App by clicking on the Repair button. This should take some time and then you can try to open the App again.
- If the Repair option also fails then last resort is to obviously click on the Reset button. This should revert the App to its default settings, thus clearing out any issues that could have occurred because of improper configuration.
Do note that, with the Reset option, you might have to sign back into the Microsoft Account
Solution 2 Reinstall the Microsoft Photos App
Since Terminate, Repair, or Reset App didn’t work, we will try to remove and reinstall the Photos App from scratch. This should help clear out any of the underlying issues that couldn’t get fixed by following the earlier steps.
However, the biggest catch is that the built-in Windows Store Apps can’t be directly uninstalled like other programs. We’ll be using the Windows PowerShell for this. Let’s open the Windows Powershell and execute some of the commands to achieve this.
- Open PowerShell by pressing WIN + X keys simultaneously and click on Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- Type the following command in PowerShell and press enter. This will remove the Microsoft Photos App soon.
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
- Open the Windows Store App, search for Microsoft Photos and then click on Install
- Once you are done reinstalling the Microsoft Photos App, you can start the App and check if it works now.
Hope this fixes your issues with the Microsoft Photos App.